I have eaten more this week than I have eaten cumulatively for the entire rest of the month. And for that, I feel (and look) like a ball of blubbery crap. I've been doing damage control for my psyche by reminding myself that if I hadn't been eating correctly for so long, imagine where I would be now. (My doctor actually told me this when I expressed my "displeasure" with myself at my last appointment. "Think of where you'd be if you WEREN'T trying. Maybe you're not MEANT to be 130 pounds." To be honest, I was pretty relieved to hear that from a doctor.) My Inner Fat Girl keeps piping up in the back of my head, telling me that I might as well eat what I want until Christmas is over. I'm sure that's what will happen, to a degree, but I'd love to offset the holiday bingeing with more salad-consumption or something. "Three steps forward, two steps back" is still one step forward in the end.
School starts back tomorrow. I've had the whole week off for Thanksgiving Break (thanks to several hours spent in PLC meetings and conferences), and I didn't do much that I had hoped to do, but I did do a lot of cleaning, organizing, and relaxing. Our wedding pictures are finally framed, matted, and hung on the walls. I reaaaaaally wanted to get some scrapbooking done, but I didn't touch my scrapping closet because the mess just frustrates me. (I've been coveting storage systems and totes-on-wheels for Christmas.) I have a week off from my masters work until Thursday, so this weekend has been super-relaxing... I am going to be smart, though, and work a little bit ahead in the next few days. I always HATE Sundays and have a lot of anxiety just knowing that another relentless school week is around the corner, but I have mixed emotions about going back this time. I miss my kids, and I feel like as long as we're out of school, we're not moving forward, but it's going to be a looooong week and I'm sure that tomorrow (the kids) will be worthless.
Yesterday was my favorite day of the entire fall season. It was declared that we would use the last Saturday of November to decorate for Christmas several weeks ago, and we've been really serious around here about creating memorable traditions (that do not include chucking a fake Christmas tree out the front door, thank you Christmas 2006). I'm sure it's something that Matt and I will tweak as the years go by, of course, but keeping this day hallowed and sacred is really important to us; as I explained to Matt, it really "kicks off" the Christmas spirit. We started by making a gingerbread cake, and then we decorated a gingerbread house that will sit (and collect dust) on our table until after Christmas. We hung all of the decorations around the house, put lights outside (I'm sure our apartment neighbors thank us profusely), and put up Tree #2 in our dining room (also called the "Fun" tree because there are no color scheme requirements and the ornaments are less "old country" style"). The only thing left is to find/buy/decorate Tree #1, which we cannot do for another week or two, because Tree #1 must be REAL.

No comments:
Post a Comment