Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Welcome back, here's your flu.

The return to school was relatively uneventful; Norah is in good hands just like I thought, the school day keeps me so busy that 3:00 comes sooner than I realize, and my students are still putting more effort into doing as little as possible than they put into doing that "little bit extra."  When I get to pick Norah up at the end of the work day, it feels so good to see her smile when I walk into the room.  She is smiling a lot, talking a little, and we catch her laughing in her sleep pretty often.  Anyway, I've been more efficient during the school day so that I can "leave my work at work" and Norah and I have had more time in the evening for play time and bath time.  

Another personal bonus is that I have fallen asleep more easily this past week.  I'm sure it has something to do with being busy and waking up super early, but it's so nice to fall asleep when my head hits the pillow instead of laying awake for 15-20 minutes. 

Matt and I got the H1N1 vaccine last Thursday.  It was totally painless.  We haven't been able to track down a seasonal flu shot yet, though.  It may have been too late for either.  I came home from school yesterday wanting to nap like it was my job, achy, and cold.  By 8pm, I had a 101.5 degree fever and I was in bed whether I wanted to be or not.  I woke up a few times through the night with stomach issues.  Norah slept on Matt's side of the bed (in her bassinet) so that he could take care of her.  I did not wake up until 8am.  I got out of bed and had a bowl of alpha-bits, then slept for 3 more hours.  I feel much better.  The fever is gone, the aches are almost gone, and all that is left is a little bit of unpleasant stomach stuff.  So far, Norah is unscathed.  We are crossing our fingers.   

No comments: